Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Live Webcast Recap & Organic Resources

If you watched & participated via instant message in last night's webcast I did with Angela over at The Coupon Project, we promised that we would provide you with some resources for finding organic food near you. This is by no means a complete list, but rather a few places to start your journey.

If there are additional resources you know of, leave a comment & share with us!

National Resources
  • EatWild: A great resource that offers a state by state guide to farmers who raise their livestock on pastures. There are farmers who offer beef, lamb, poultry, pork, eggs, honey, & more. Note that not all of these farms are organic; you need to click on the individual links to view their farming practices. (Here is the Washington state list & the state by state list of farms that provide shipping.)
  • Slow Food USA: Their tag line says it all: "Supporting Good, Clean, and Fair Food." This is an excellent resource to educate yourself on our food supply & includes a state by state list of local chapters (get involved!).
  • Local Harvest: A great site for finding farmers markets, family farms, CSA's, co ops, & more. Click on your state to find sources near you.

Washington Resources

  • Thundering Hooves: Pasture finished meats raised in the Walla Walla Valley with 40 neighborhood delivery locations in Portland, the Tri-Cities, & the Puget Sound region. They offer beef, pork, lamb, chicken & more. Note that Thundering Hooves pastures are certified organic, however the meat itself is not certified organic. They do use organic principals in their production & don't use hormones or antibiotics, though.
  • Skagit River Ranch: Selling certified organic Angus beef, organic pasture raised chickens, organic eggs, & field raised natural pork.
  • WA State Farmer's Market Association: Information on & a list of farmer's markets in Washington.

Thanks, Angela for inviting me to participate in your webcast! I had a great time & I hope everyone found it informative & fun.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens, you have NO idea how excited I am!! How did I not know about Local Harvest? I found a flexible, inexpensive CSA in our area (I have been looking forever) and fun local farms with kids activities. Heather, you have just made my entire day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 10 month old baby and have been looking for local, hormone free, organic products for him. Usually I'm limited to what my grocery store has in stock (not a lot in N. Louisiana, let me tell ya), so I was sooooo happy to see your list. I just discovered a whole another world that apparently exists all around my city. I just can't thank you enough, I had no idea there were so many local organic farms (both vegetable/fruit and meat/poultry) around here. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you guys are so sweet! I'm so happy you found local resources; both your families & your local economies will benefit! :)

    (Melody, thanks for the shout out on your FB wall!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thundering Hooves has THE best beef and pork around! I've been buying from them for almost five years now, and still can't stop raving about them! Great product, and a GREAT family run farm. You can feel really good feeding your family their meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krys, I love that you don't have to order a half a cow at a time or anything like that from Thundering Hooves. Some people simply can't store all that meat, so it's nice to have a farm that offers more realistic quantities. I'm so glad you left a comment letting us know you love the quality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thundering Hooves too, I always wait for their 72 hour sales and then order as much as we can afford. You can split the orders over a few different delivery dates, too, and still get the great price. They have a cap on the items, of course, but since we don't have a big freezer that's fine by us. Also, there is a coupon in the Chinook Book for $10 off of a $50 order, so sometimes I get really great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corinne, good to know you can space out the delivery & still get the reduced rates! Where do you find out about the 72 hour sales? Is it their newsletter or something else? Please share! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Strosgirl's Designs