Friday, November 26, 2010

My Favorite Leftover Turkey Recipe

I love turkey (Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday) & have been known to make a full turkey dinner in July before. I love leftover turkey. In fact, I had it for breakfast today (don't judge me!). However, at some point I need to use the turkey up in a different way.

This will be the 15th year I have made this recipe for dinner on Black Friday. I think my husband & I look forward to it more than Thanksgiving dinner itself. It's easy to make, delicious, & is total comfort food. The recipe is in the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook. My copy was giving to me when I got married & it appears the edition was even a few years old when I got it, as the copyright states 1989. I have no idea if the newer versions of the cookbook have the recipe in there. Also, technically, the recipe calls for chicken, but I substitute turkey. If you look in your cookbook then, the recipe will be for Chicken Enchiladas.

Now, drum roll please......

Turkey Enchiladas

8 6 inch tortillas
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t ground coriander
1/4 t pepper
4 T butter
3 T all purpose flour
1 8 oz. carton sour cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 or 2 canned jalapeno chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, & chopped (I omit this!)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (um yeah....I add more!)
2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
sliced black olives (optional)
sliced green onions (optional)

Wrap tortillas in foil & heat in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until softened.

For sauce, in a saucepan cook onion, garlic, coriander, & pepper in butter until the onion is tender. Stir flour into sour cream; add to the onion mixture. Stir in broth & chili peppers all at once. Cook & stir until thickened & bubbly. Remove from heat & add 1/2 of the cheese.

For filling, stir 1/2 of the sauce into the turkey. Place about 1/4 cup onto each tortilla; roll up. Arrange seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish (I use 9x13) & top with remaining sauce. Cover with foil & bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Remove, sprinkle remaining cheese over the enchiladas, & bake for approx. 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with olives, green onions, diced tomatoes, etc. as you wish (although I don't use any toppings...they are amazing as is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Strosgirl's Designs