Monday, December 27, 2010

Mexican Organic Produce: Is It Really Organic?


I'll admit that as much as I've researched organic products, I knew little about products from Mexico that are labeled organic. I wondered if these items were really organically farmed & if they were subject to the same regulations as domestically farmed organic produce.

I'm happy to report, the answer appears to be yes. In order for any food to be certified organic, it must meet the USDA's National Organic Program (NOP) regulations that went into effect in 2002. In 2006 the Mexican government published their Law of Organic Products & regulations will be issued soon. What I found most important was this: any produce labeled organic that is grown in Mexico must be certified from a USDA accredited agency (there are at least 15 organic certification agencies in Mexico).
I always recommend buying locally when possible. This supports your community & reduces your carbon footprint. However, getting fresh produce in the middle of winter means buying produce grown elsewhere (unless you live in a warm climate!). Now I feel confident knowing that the organic produce grown in Mexico is grown in the same manner as organic produce grown in the US.

For more information on this subject, read this very informative article published by PCC Natural Markets. Thanks for the info, PCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Strosgirl's Designs